5 Things You Should Know About Fort Myers
Beaches, water sports, fishing, golf and The Favorite Sun are just some of the things that come to mind when I think about Fort Myers. But, did you know that there are other things that you should know about Fort Myers? There is more to the City of Fort Myers then just fun in the sun. Here are 5 things you should know about Fort Myers.
- Mike Greenwell, former Red Sox player, who came in second in the MVP voting to Jose Canseco, calls North Fort Myers home. Deion Sanders and Noel Devine, the current star running back at West Virginia University also came from North Fort Myers.
- Golf anyone? The Fort Myers area is said to have more golf holes per capita than anywhere else in the United States. Now that is a lot of golfing, FORE!!!!!
- One of the 5 things you should know about Fort Myers might be a well known fact for horror movie buffs. In the movie, Day of the Dead, there is a scene of an abandoned city. That city was filmed right in downtown Fort Myers.
- Everyone loves a parade. Fort Myers has one of the biggest nighttime parades in the world called the Edison Festival of Light parade. This annual parade celebrates Thomas Edison, the inventor who, with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, made Fort Myers his winter home.
- In 2005, Wilma, a category 5 hurricane ripped through southern Fort Myers. Wilma is the strongest Atlantic hurricane on record, to date, that produced 150 mile per hour winds, stronger than hurricane Katrina or Rita.
Did you know any of these 5 things you should know about Fort Myers? I didn’t. What is your favorite of the 5 things you should know about Fort Myers? We would love to know.